Our ward has a yearly Chili/Chocolate cookoff and I've been looking forward to it since about November. Things can get pretty competitive--especially where the chili is concerned--and of course we'd be up against the Beazers, who pretty much have it in the bag. So, I figured I'd write off the chili and focus on my chocolate concoction: Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls, which if you were to ask me, were sure to win at least "Most Unique" if not "Best Overall". But the thing is, last year there wasn't really enough chili and when the sign-up sheet went around, everyone was signing up for chocolate, so I caved. Chris's idea was to buy a bunch of Nalley's Chili, but luckily we can't find it east of the Mississippi.
And then I didn't want to spend too much money (I would always win the award for "Cheapest Chili" Heck, cheapest ANYTHING), so I ended up dragging the girls to Aldi and getting whatever looked like it would be good. Just a few peppers and chorizo, hamburger, Italian style diced tomatoes and the only two types of canned beans they had. Well, let that simmer all day and you come out with The Columbus University Ward 2007 Best Overall Chili. Crazy. I'm still in shock. Chris and I only got a few bites to share between the both of us, so we totally want more. Because really, it was that good.
The Recipe:
Brown 1 lb 85/15 hamburger with 7.5 oz mild chorizo, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped green pepper, 1 chopped yellow pepper, and as much jalepeno as you like. Drain MOST of the fat. Add 2 cans italian style petite dice tomatoes undrained, 1 can red kidney beans drained, 1 can Mexican chili beans undrained, 2 Tbsp cumin, 1/2 Tbsp chili powder and cayenne pepper to taste. Simmer 2-4 hours on the stove top until flavors meld and juices reduce.
Friday, February 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've discovered your new blog and now all of your secrets will be mine!! Mwah, ah ah!
Congratulations on your award winning chili! I wish I could have been there to taste it, but I was at a wedding in Denver.
I miss you and I got your message last night too late to call you. We need to get together. You're coming to book club, right? You could make your chocolate cinnamon rolls for the treat. Are you also going to Katherine's shower?
Post a Comment