Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Guest blogger--Chris!!

This week culminated in the annual Larry and Stephanie Halloween party. It was a Harry Potter party where everyone came in their true Wizard identity. So Reba revealed herself as Rita Skeeter and I finally owned up to why I have so much back hair: I’m a werewolf.


Don’t we look great in the clothes from our wizard closet (aka Goodwill)? And check out that facial hair! That’s just for the full moon people (or at least less than a month’s worth.)

The party was amazing! Everyone came in full wizard dress. (Check out a full review of the party here) We supplied the butterbeer for The Leaky Cauldron and other wizards brought soup.

But the highlight of the evening was when Steph and Larry sent us on an Amazing Race style tour of Columbus. We were with our friends Brooke and Quintin AKA Hermione and Neville Longbottom so we were destined to do well—especially because they had a REALLY great map in their car.

If I could have made a movie during the scavenger hunt, it would have been hilarious. First we went to a fancy ice cream parlor in Grandview where they sell exotic ice cream like Butternut Squash Praline or Sweet Corn with Blackberry or Pad Thai. Everyone got there at the same time, which means that Hagrid (who REALLY looked like Hagrid), a werewolf, and a slew of witches and wizards all ran into the tiny parlor and yelled “I solemnly swear I am up to no good” simultaneously. Needless to say the four teams were a little overwhelming to the clerk—especially Hagrid who, in addition to being enormous also had an extremely competitive side. The people eating their ice cream were a little freaked out as well, but I think we livened up some rather dull conversations. Everyone leaves, but no Brooke and Reba. I look back into the parlor and there they are asking for free samples. I jump into the car and Quintin asks where they are. I tell him they’re asking for free samples. He then asks if I brought the clue to figure out while we wait. That would have been a good idea. . .. The girls make it back to the car shortly afterward and Quintin and I sampled the ice cream (Dark Chocolate Gelatto and Salty Carmel) that our wives had stopped to get for us. We broke a golden snitch in order to find the next clue. And then we were off. Kind of. We drove away, but weren’t sure where to go. Until we called someone to tell us where the heck there was a park with bushes shaped like people. Brooke and Quintin performed a Chinese firedrill at a red light so that Quintin could talk while Brooke drove, as Quintin was doing both before then.

We went to a topiary park in downtown Columbus. The clue said that we didn’t have to go into the park, but there were headlamps and shadows the size of Hagrid and Professors Trelawney and McGonagall inside the park, which almost slowed us down until Reba bumped into where the next clue (a wand) was hanging on the fence. Who needs head lamps?

The clue sent us to a park in German Village where Quintin and I started running across the park to look for the stage. Quintin then says something along the lines of. .. Who’s that? I see someone out of the corner of my eye and think its another team passing us. It turns out to be a red streak because the person is moving so fast, and then I remember that Reba is wearing a red power suit. (Looks like her running is paying off) So Quintin and I had to kick it up a notch to catch her as we reach the stage. On the stage there is a large man with dark long hair, that didn’t look quite like anyone in our group. I was a little nervous that Larry and Stephanie had enlisted the help of a bum or that he was just checking the stuff out, but it turned out to be Snape (who looked a lot like Larry), with a pensieve and the next clue. Reba rushed in to read it and all the other wizards were gentlemen and hung back until she turned and ran back across the park with a shout of “I know where we’re going!!”

We headed to an old bookstore in German village which turns out to be a Labyrinth as it is several, late 19th century buildings (beautifully restored), hooked together to make one really cool but not at all organized book store. Reba runs past Quintin and I, as we’re listening to the man explain how to get to the youth section, in the book store. Now remember, Reba has never been to this store (though she has wanted to come for two years now, and has apparently told me this repeatedly, but I refute this claim fastidiously) and she runs directly to the youth section of the store without one wrong turn. (this included two sets of stairs and numerous blind corners with way too many shelves of books crammed into the store acting as the maze walls) She’s got some sort of extra sense because I was afraid that, after following her back into the store I would never make it out on my own. Her explanation is that she could hear the man giving the directions as she was running up the stairs. I don’t believe her.

I’m happy to report that I actually DID contribute to the team by finding the glasses that were the final clue. We made it back through the maze of the store and jumped in the car with Brooke—who really should think about a career as a get away driver. We pulled out just as the closest team pulled up to the bookstore, so we got right back on the freeway and made it back FIRST—winning a bag of Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, Chocolate Frogs, and ice cream from the store where we got the samples. Please note—vomit flavored beans taste a lot like Tutti Fruiti. Earthworm, dirt, soap, and rotten egg really are that gross. Grass and pickle are pretty good.


All this happened while the girls peacefully slept with our neighbor Holly downstairs. The girls have no idea their parents are capable of having so much fun.

Moira led the Music in church Sunday, and made it all the way through sacrament meeting without going out to the foyer. I checked the floor and it was still warm with brimstone so it must have just been a miracle and nothing had frozen over. Of course, that’s not to say that our bench wasn’t a circus. Though I hate to be vain, I think we were much more entertaining (or at least attention grabbing) than any of the speakers. We should sell tickets to the families behind us.

Moira and Daddy also had to leave priesthood because the gym echos much too nicely for it not to be put to use by Moira.

I watched free cable at our neighbors on Friday night in exchange for them staying at our house on Saturday. It was the easiest babysitting job. I also had my last EVER midterm this week with only two finals, a candidacy exam and a dissertation standing between me and being a contributing member of society.

Ellie developed a phobia of people staring at her still slightly pink hair in public. Reba tried really hard but couldn’t get her to say she had strawberry blonde hair. Also, she taught herself to write E, O, T, I and backwards upside down L. Yay Ellie!

We went back to Schiller park today to see where we ran in the dark. Let’s just say it’s a good thing we parked where we did on Saturday night or we would have ran right into a pond and been very wet wizards.

That’s all,

Chris

PS: Reba said I’m not supposed to tell you that she got pulled over for being a driving airhead when she was going visit teaching. She did say that it’s ok to tell you that she only got a verbal warning for being polite and apologetic and having a clean record.

PPS: Reba decorated this cool hat for a Witches Brew party.


Ellie meets a witch meets Audrey Hepburn, no? And see that strawberry blonde?

PPPS: Moira walks.

2 comments:

Noelle said...

Thanks for the fun explanation of the party, that was really fun to read. I laughed out loud when I heard the girls went in for samples at Jeni's :) And about the headlamps, they didn't even do us any good since we were obviously last to find the huge jack-o-lantern with the wands inside. (We were looking for something a bit more inconspicuous.)

jenica said...

AAACKKK this is so FUN!!! sounds like you had a great time! wish i could have been there! you guys look great!

isn't an upside down backwards L just a 7?