Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Roadtrip

Monday morning Chris got up early to drive some friends to the airport, and the girls slept in a little while I got started on our very long to do list. Somehow we got the house mostly clean and mostly unpacked and headed out around 12:30. Eight (nine? I lose all track of time when we're driving) uneventful hours later we arrived in Cedar Rapids and spent the night with Chris's Aunt Linda and Uncle Craig. Chris's cousin Jenny recently returned from a mission in Portugual, and they told us all about their trip to pick Jenny up and tour some amazing places!

Moira decided that sleeping in a crib wasn't the cool thing to do, so Chris walked the halls with her for an hour before she finally fell back asleep--only to wake up again, with Ellie, at 5:00 AM. Oh, the time change is not our friend. Moira amazingly napped on me for a little while, but Ellie and Chris giggled and were awake. Even with no sleep Chris safely drove us all the way to Cheyenne where we conked out in a Holiday Inn Express (Chris had to stop there because he loves those cinnamon rolls). Getting there was a bit hairy, because some of the semi trucks had enormous chunks of ice breaking off their roofs and flying toward the unsuspecting Mazda Proteges trying to pass them. I imagined the ice shattering our windshield, but the TV sized chunk headed towards us actually hit the passenger side mirror instead and knocked it all skewompus.

High winds in Wyoming made the snow dance across the freeway like snakes, but it was clear enough that we made good time and got to my parents' house by early afternoon. Ellie was thrilled to have all her "big friends"--Cameron, Nicole, and Jackie, and Moira either remembered everyone, or quickly warmed up to them.

We've spent the week enjoying each other, and making candy and a gingerbread house. Friday Chris and I took the girls to IKEA and then went to visit Chris's college roomate Joel and his wife Christine and their sons. My brother Cameron turned 18 yesterday and the whole family was all together. It's so fun to see all of us and our families crowded around the HUGE table and just barely fitting. Oh, and we finally started (and finished) Christmas shopping. I could probably do some more, but what we have is good enough.

I have a ton of pictures of everyone reading to the girls (probably because that's the only time they're sitting still) but my camera cord is in one of those boxes back in Ohio. Which reminds me, in my haste I forgot to mention that Chris got his Masters degree last week and his scarlet and gray diploma is sitting near the computer box. Yay, Chris! I'm so proud of your hard work!

1 comment:

jenica said...

ummm, so when do i get to see you??? you had better not be gone already!

xoxo