Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Book Club

I'm in the lucky position to be the Book Club leader for our ward, which just means that I say hello at the beginning and go most months. I love books and reading and I love talking about books and reading, too, and the group tolerates me so nicely. I feel like we should make time to read the best books that we can, because as wives and mothers, we don't have time to waste on books that aren't "virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy."

That being said, here are the books we're planning on reading for the first 7 months of 2009

Jan--The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Feb--A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel
March--The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio by Terry Ryan
April--The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy (The author is a girl, for all of you looking for a unique girl's name)
May--The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron
June--The Color of Water by James McBride
July--Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

I'm really excited to read or reread all of these books. I'm sure we'll have some great discussions.

And here are the other books we talked about reading in the future:

Dandelion Wine (Ray Bradbury)
As a Driven Leaf
Big Stone Gap
These is My Words
Bean Trees (Barbara Kingsolver)
The Bonesetter's Daughter
The Little Balloonist
Mere Christinity
The Time of the Butterflies
Golden Urchin
The Bronze Bow
My Name is Asher Lev
Blink
I See Sparks
Les Miserables
To Kill a Mockingbird
Secret Life of Bees
Hadassah One Night With The King
Elantris (Brandon Sanderson)
All the King's Men
Left to Tell
The Music of Dolphins
Jacob Have I Loved
The Crucible
Angle of Repose
Autobiography of Mark Twain
The Screwtape Letters
Mere Christianity
A Grief Observed
The Perfect Storm
Out of the Dust

So many good books, so little time.

2 comments:

lisa h. said...

thanks for sharing your list!

Amy said...

I think you do an awesome job at being the leader. I love that it is you and not me... and someone who has read such a wide variety of things. You are great! And I have enjoyed all of the books so far.