1 1/2 lbs beets, scrubbed and trimmed.
1 T butter or oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 tsp caraway seeds (I have a TON of these if you don't want to go buy any. I'm not sure what I'll use them for)
2 cups beef broth
1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
3/4 lb green cabbage, coarsely chopped (6-7 cups)
3-4 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/2-1 tsp salt
2 large bay eaves
1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
1 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes with liquid.
1-2 T sugar.
1 cup sour cream mixed with 1 tsp dried dill
Grate half the beets, using the coarse side of a box grater or a food processor. Cut the remaining beets into 1/2 inch dice.
Heat the butter in a 6 quart pressure cooker Add the onions and caraway seeds and cook over high heat for a minute or two. Stir in all other ingredients through the tomatoes and stir. Pour tomatoes on top and don't stir after adding tomatoes.
Lock the lid of the pressure cooker in place. Over high heat bring to high pressure. Reduce heat to aintain high pressure and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat. Allow the pressure to come down naturally fo 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure. (Alternately, I'm sure you could cook it for 6-8 hours on low in a slow cooker or simmer 2-3 hours on the stove top).
Remove the bay leaves, and taste for salt and/or more sugar or vinegar, if needed. Serve with sour cream-dill topping.
2 comments:
This looks totally delish. Love me the beets, and I'm obsessed with dill, as well.
i keep on buying beets to make this and then i chicken out.
Post a Comment