Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Run, Reba, Run

I am not by nature an athletic person.

Oh sure, I can get by in a friendly game of tennis and I love playing best ball in golf, but team sports elude me.

So, after Ellie was born and I needed something fast and inexpensive to help me get back in shape, I started walking, which required absolutely no ability to do a lay-up--a necessary requirement for anyone who's seem me dribble. Things were going great until she suddenly developed a reversion to strollers and I needed to double the excercise I got in the same span of time.

Enter the fabulous Couch to 5k program. I put on my running shoes and only a few months later little old uncoordinated me was actually running--nearly 4 miles at the peak of things. I was addicted--to the smell of the air outside, the feel of my feet on the pavement, the ache in my muscles afterwards, even the way the stroller handle fit in my palms.

After an extended break from running (childbearing does take precidence over exercise), I still identify with Nike ads even though it's been ages since I've had a run where the anti-athlete in me hasn't convinced the runner in me to go back home and make a big plate of hashbrowns.

Luckily, my friend Lisa blogged about wanting to learn how to run and she's been knocking on my door to keep me motivated. A week and 5 runs later, I'm feeling good.

Contented sigh.

No comments: