Ok, maybe not that long, but at least since Chris and I have been married.
And then we took this internship. Just for a summer, right? Somehow one summer has turning into four and I've still never gotten my garden.
Oh sure, there's an enormous plot here, and we weed and pick blackberries and zucchini and those luscious peaches. But, I whine, it's not the same. There are few things as satisfying as knowing a plant from the time it was a seed, through its delicate childhood, its unruly adolescence, and its final maturity.
So, Ellie and I planted an entire pack of pumpkin seeds in our front yard. Because they're resilient. And because their growing season is so long that we might actually get to meet the final product. As those of you near our house in Ohio can attest, it is taking over.
But look:
We planted the seed that grew into that little pumpkin. And Katherine took this gorgeous picture a week ago, so (and I love progress reports, Ohio readers) it's probably bigger by now.
My first garden, even if I'm not putting any sweat or tears into it.
Magic.
5 comments:
Yes, it is bigger now. Jeff said he won't chop it down, so don't worry.
yay! i love the writing in this post, so fluid.
we killed our garden 1 1/2 times this year. did you know that gardens have to be watered more than once a week to thrive? hmmm, we didn't. go figure. but we just got what we think is our first cantelope growing on the vine. so delish! so impossible! so exciting!
Reba, this is Lee, I wanted to tell you that I enjoy reading your posts, mostly because you are a very talented writer. Please, for the enjoyment of the rest of us, do not stop writing.
Lee
Yay for Jeff for letting my crazy teenage plant take over Westborough! Thanks for talking to him, Katherine.
And thanks for the compliment, Lee.
We love to see how big the pumpkins are getting. Today I noticed that at least 1 is orange and getting really big. Are you going to provide hayrides for us also? I think we can fit a couple of bails on the back of our crown vic:)!
Post a Comment