Sunday, March 16, 2008

Welcome to our house

This is the view when you come in our front door. (Well, the view at night when I've picked up all the toys)
Want to see the other side of our red couch?
Chris picked it out. It looks a little lonely in this picture, but normally, there's a girl in high heels and/or pearls nearby:
And it coordinates with the red walls that came with the house:
I never would have the guts to paint a wall red, but I absolutely love it.

There's room in the dining room for the girls to have breakfast at a little table:

And right off the dining room is the kitchen: For reality's sake I didn't move the garbage can. But notice you can't see into my deep sink? You'll never know if there are unwashed dishes in it.

Off the kitchen is the mather bedroom:

Our bedskirt isn't that shiny. And those pictures are on the wall now. Yay. Originally this room was painted gold. Not gold leaf, but buttered crust of bread gold. We painted our room first to this soft khaki that was called Brazilian Tan. No offense, but if you showed up on a beach in Brazil with this color skin, you would not be considered tan.

Off the bedroom is the bathroom with a spacious, unorganized closet:

Can you tell there's a shower to the left and a toilet to the right and a vanity?

Also off the hall from the kitchen is the laundry room:

And the two car garage, complete with two cars:
It's a little tight, but they are in.



So that's what you'd see if you came into our house and turned right. If you'd come in and turned left, you'd go through the family room and come to a short hallway, where there is a full bathroom:And Ellie's room with her new pink polka dots:
I actually made a pink duvet cover and a polka dot bedskirt, too, but since she is asleep, that will have to wait for a different day. The curtains were originally hanging in the master bedroom, but they were too frilly for me, so we took them down and rinsed them with pink RIT dye, just to make them less cream. We also painted the rod and the corvals to be a little more girly.


Here's another shot of the polka dots:
I ended up using a stencil and once I got the walls back to their original white from a lovely green/tan, it was pretty easy. I love how light and airy and girly her room is. There's also a pink rose wreathe on the door and a sign that my sister in law Katie made that is pink and says "Thank Heaven for little girls".

And here's Moira's room:
Dad made that corner cupboard and, lacking any corners in our main room, I painted in white to go in Moira's room. I also reworked the curtains that were in our apartment so they fit the bigger window.

And the last room: the office/guest room/catch all. I'm a little embarassed to show you such a messy room, but other than painting it the soft gray/blue, I'm still waiting for inspiration to strike. (Also, the girls are not usually allowed in here, so I haven't been able to do anything while they are awake.)
However, I do love my rainbow-tized books:


Two of the blue anthologies are actually in Moira's room keeping her crib propped up so she can breathe through her cold. Hopefully they'll be back on the shelf soon.


Let's go out back, shall we?

Here's the view of the side of the house in the back:
Here's Ellie in our back yard next to our two dogwood trees. You can't tell from the pictures, but there is another few feet of yard that is flowerbed/those pine trees. Anybody know what kind they are?
And then of course there's the boat storage (notice it is empty) and Moira's favorite part of the yard--the rocks! Honestly I think she'd be just as happy with no house and just a pile of rocks.
And lastly here's Ellie in high heels from the other corner of the yard:
Walking in heels is hard work.

17 comments:

Heather said...

Looks great - nice job Reba! I too love the red wall.

Noelle said...

Congratulations on the new house! The pink polka dots are so fun. I smiled when I saw that you rainbow-tized your books. :)

Steph said...

Reba,

Your house looks fantastic! I can't believe that you just moved in and you already look so settled in. You've done so much work!

I'm really missing you here. Just when things settle down, and I have lots of free time and project ideas, you have to move on me!

Katherine said...

Oh my heavens!! Your house looks so awesome!! Soooo cool!!
Fancy Nancy must be keeping you busy and it looks like you have another one in the making!!

J* said...

Looks so great! I love every square inch. The dots look especially great. Cute hair on Moira when they are sitting at the table. Darling girls as always.
~Jessica

Anonymous said...

Cute house! I love it and am jealous that you even have a house! And a backyard! I'm sure those summer days will be so glorious.
I love having a picture of where you are now!
~Rachel

Carrie said...

Your house looks fantastic Reba! I'm totally in awe of how much you got done so quickly. It took me 3 years to finally paint the kitchen/living room in our house and most of the rooms are still curtain-less. I'm not sure if my favorite feature was the polka dots or the rainbow-tized books.
-Carrie

lisa h. said...

well it seems that all you need to do now is pick out which boat you want!

love the red couch and your curtains. everything looks great and so roomy too!

i may copy your polka dot idea!! you'll have to give me more details about how you did it so neatly!

jenica said...

squeeeeeeeee!

eeEE!

i'm so blown away. i love the couch. i love the red walls. i love the deep sink. i love the polka dots. i can't wait to see the duvet. i love the now-pink curtains. i LOVE the moira blocks! i love the corner shelf. i love the backyard. i love the rocks. i love the high heels and pearls.

love it all!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Ditto to what everyone else said, fabulous house! Looks like you have been working hard and you are set now. You scored with already painted red walls too--so bold, so fun.

Denise said...

Amazing Reba! I am super impressed and love the way everything turned out.

Megan said...

see, i have been reading your blog! the house looks great, i guess i could just come by and see. . .but this works too. If you need friends, we are always here, and stella is SO willing to play. call us, ANYTIME, seriously

vanessa said...

Your house looks so cute! I love your girls' rooms! Maybe when we get our new house someday soon I will be creative :) We miss you!

Rachel said...

ahhhh. . .you have a real house. i have heard they exist but have yet to really believe it. yours looks so cute! a fenced backyard! you can paint your walls! an attached garage! i'm so happy for you!

Cassie and Mark said...

I am a friend of Lisa Hymas's and I found your blog through hers. I LOVE your living room curtains! I have been looking for something exactly like that! Where did you get them?

Reba said...

Hi Cassie (or Mark)

The curtains are from Target and they're still there as of this morning. :)

Cassie and Mark said...

Thank you so much!